20 August 2006

ouch.

I know I haven’t posted for a while, but it has once again been a busy week. Freelance work for the opera as well as for a couple other companies over the last week and a half has made it very difficult to keep up with everything, especially trying to get everything done for my big apprentice meeting.

Oh yeah. I had a big apprentice meeting.

All apprentices were required to attend. It was the opening orientation for the new school year. Introducing the students to me as well as to the changes the committee has implemented for the program. Most of them made it, but a few managed to avoid it. Only one had an excuse. The rest, I guess, are not too terribly interested in their educational, and therefore their occupational, future.

Of course, the meeting didn’t quite go off without a hitch. I finished all of the paperwork for the packet around mid afternoon. When I tried to use the union copy machine to copy the packets, I discovered my copy skills have degraded over the years. Also, the damn machine wouldn’t do what I told it to, and managed to screw up my packets. So I was not able to complete packets for all of the students. However, we covered all of the material and I will be mailing each of them a complete packet first part of next week.

Not exactly the best start, but it’s a start. We carry on from here.

Ultimately, I will be learning some new skills. I will be learning to prioritize from an office setting. I know and practice prioritization on shows and projects, but there is a different approach while sitting in an office. It is kind of weird.

I am not an office creature. I have always loved my work but a big part of that has been the freedom of movement. Even when I worked at companies, I was always going to job sites all over the country. Now, I sit in the same “viewless” (not windowless) position day after day.

I believe very strongly in the program and its intended result. Obviously I believe I have something to offer to achieve this goal. But this whole office thing is killing me. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make the situation more tolerable, please let me know.

On that subject, I was approached today by one of the employer representatives, who made very strong and positive statements about their commitment to assisting the program and being available for training facilities and gear whenever possible.
Pretty good news. Although somewhat depressing that no one either knew of their interest or took advantage of this opportunity. Oh well.

My turn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home